Friday, July 12, 2013

Sensitive Shaving Solutions

It's Friday, which means I'll be busy writing my August articles for What Now Magazine this weekend! I am excited to feature my alma mater's retiring president's story and a local Cajun saint altar for the readers. :D

I don't know about most girls, but when I was a pre-teen and had just discovered shaving, I was elated to begin a ritual that seemed to validate my entry into teen-dom and adulthood. 

What a silly feeling that elation was. Now I'm extremely happy whenever I can wear pants or jeans for a few days so that I can shorten my bath time and get on with my life.

Don't get me wrong; I love having smooth, soft legs. I just dread the extra time and care required to shave. It's become so much of a chore now, and until recently, I actually had irritating itching after.

For the next day or so after my shave, my legs and sometimes my underarms would become incessantly itchy. No redness, rashes, bumps, or visible signs of irritation, though, so I thought was I was losing my mind.

I shaved with body washes and sometimes applied scented lotion after I dried myself, but the itchiness wouldn't pop up until the next day, which was so strange.

I complained about this skin woe to a co-worker, who suggested that the lathering agents in my body washes could be getting into the tiny cuts and abrasions on my skin that my razor left behind, leading to the invisible itching. She recommend CeraVe lotion since it's fragrance-free and gentle, and she said I should try Dove body wash.



Current Dove body wash. I like to save it for shaving. It has no scent, but I still smell a "clean" fragrance. It's definitely safe for you sensitive gals, but I always find some kind of aroma in everything. 

I have been using Dove's soap bars since I was a toddler. I love them and their gentle, moisturizing cleaning. I have used the body wash before, but I love trying new brands and types for variety. I still use scented ones on non-shaving days, and sometimes I blend the gel ones with this creamy Dove body wash.

My legs, underarms, and arms feel so silky smooth with this! It really does seem to follow through with the commercials' and ads' claims.



My CeraVe lotion. I apply it after I dry off. It has no fragrance, but, like almost everything to my nose, I detect that "clean" scent-free aroma. I'm odd, I know.

I didn't realize just how awesome CeraVe is. I guess I never was much on lotion--I'm a lazy lady--but this is essential after I shave. It's pricey (about $10 a bottle for 12 ounces), but two pumps is enough for each leg and each arm. It softens my skin and heals it after it's been subjected to shaving torture. 



My Schick Quattro for Women Trim Style Razor. 

I have been using Schick religiously for several years (along with some last-resort/in-a-bind razors), and I keep buying the replacement heads. I can use one head for several shaves. I like the convenient bikini-area trimmer for these summer swimming days. Nothing beats a wax, of course, but those are expensive!

So far, I have been having great results and less itchy skin--or no itchiness at all. I apply some other unscented/soothing lotions on days after my shaving to save on the CeraVe, and it seems that my skin is doing better.

Do you have any similar issues? Have you tried any of the products mentioned above? What are your shaving tools? Let me know!

Pretty Panda's Ponderings
  • It's been raining for the last few days, and I wish that I had an excuse to cuddle up with a good book and my jammies. 
  • I ate sushi last night at Ichiban with Brett, my sister Kristen, and our friend Grem. We had a great time relaxing and enjoying delicious rolls and miso soup!
  • Tom Perrotta is my favorite author of our generation.



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such information this will help a lot of people...
    razors

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a awesome post. Thanks for sharing your experience. I think this has lots of important information. Best safety razor

    ReplyDelete