Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Ipsy Bag: What is it?

Before I went to Japan, I was subscribed to Birchbox. It's $10 a month for samples of high-end beauty products, like conditioner, eye shadow, primer, perfume, and plenty of other goodies. I loved it and was actually a little teary-eyed when I had to cancel it. My friend Erin saved me four boxes while I was gone, and for that kindness and generosity, I am forever grateful. :)

I'm back in Louisiana now, and I was aching for a monthly subscription box. I admit that Birchbox had been disappointing me: I received tiny perfume samples (the teeny ones perfume sales reps give you at department stores) and random samples that didn't appeal to me. I had enough skin creams to hydrate four families.

Then I saw a picture on Love Shelbey's Instagram account that intrigued me: Ipsy Bag.

What in the world is an "ipsy"?

I ventured to the site and looked around. Hm, take a free 3-minute beauty profiling quiz. OK... I like this, this, this, that, that, this... Not too different from Birchbox in this regard.

Wait. Wait. Wait. I can see what each month's bag contains before it arrives?

That's pretty sweet.

$10 a month? I can handle that. God knows I spend more than that on beauty products a month...

So far, I have received the May and June Ipsy bags. Michelle Phan, YouTube beauty guru extraordinaire, and several other beauty gurus (Promise Phan, yay!) created this program, and their special touches are evident.

May Ipsy bag contains Zoya nail polish (GieGie), Mirabella lipstick (Posy), Pacifica perfume roll-on (Island Vanilla), Anastasia  Mini Clear Brow Gel, and Yaby Concealer Refill (Buff)

 Wearing the Mirabella lipstick in Posy



 June Ipsy bag contains Starlooks lip pencil (Tickle Me Pink), NYX cream blush (Natural), Cailyn Cosmetics Line-Fix Gel Liner (purple), Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter Pencil, and J. Cat Beauty Sparkling Cream Palette (neutral colors)

 NYX Cream Blush in Natural

 Hm... I am supposed to use this on my body and not around my eyes. 

Starlooks lip pencil in Tickle Me Pink. Goes on smooth and creamy.

Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter Pencil. Glides on smooth and looks pretty. :3

 Cailyn Cosmetics Line-Fix Gel Liner in purple. On the left, I had just applied it. On the right, I had tried to remove it with just water and a washcloth. Pretty resistant!

I love the cute little bags that the products come in, too! It's like Christmas once a month.

For $10, I think this subscription is worth a try. You can cancel at any time, and you can rate the products after you try 'em out.

Do you use Ipsy? What about other subscription boxes? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Celeste!
    I made my subscription this morning! I can never decide on what kind of make-up I would like better, and this will be a perfect way for me to experiment more. Thanks for all your help! I cannot wait to get my goodies in! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime, Mia! I hope you have a lot of fun with it. I like that Ipsy really tries to customize the contents while keeping a general cache!

      Delete