Tuesday, May 28, 2013

How I Clean My Makeup Brushes

I am guilty of neglecting makeup brushes.

I used to rely solely on whatever brushes, sponges, or puffs accompanied my makeup. After using my sponges up, I would just toss them and buy new ones. I still like to use them occasionally, but after I bought my Mary Kay and EcoTools brushes, I entered into a love affair (and have been saving some money!).

Back to my bad brush habits. I always have rinsed off my brushes with warm water and soap after each use--I still do this so I have clean ones for the next day--but just like my skin and hair, my brushes need deep cleaning, too. I saw different beauty tips on Pinterest, and one cleaning method seemed simple enough: warm water, dish soap, and olive oil.

OK, yeah, soap and water makes sense, but olive oil? Yes, I use a tiny amount of olive oil to keep my brushes soft (kind of like conditioner). My favorite soap to use is Dawn's Hand Renewal because it cleans without as many harsh detergents as regular dish soaps. I deep-clean my brushes once a week (usually on Sunday after I have applied my makeup for the day) and let them soak for at least two or three hours.

I didn't have any olive oil on hand for this last cleaning, but the Dawn Hand Renewal dish soap is gentle enough to allow me to use the olive oil every other week.

Here's what I do:


  • I take a bottle of dish soap and squeeze out a quarter-sized amount into the bottom of a large plastic cup (the cup I used is the blue one in the background). If I am using olive oil, I pour a nickel-sized amount into the cup.




  • Then I take my longest brush (my foundation brush) and use it brush-side-down to swirl the soap around. I then place all of my brushes into the cup.


  • Now I wait for about two to three hours (sometimes overnight if I am lazy and know that I won't be wearing much makeup the next day). I then take the cup and gently dump out the water and brushes into the sink. I rinse off my brushes until the water runs clear, and I gently pat them dry with a soft cloth. 
  • Finally, I lay my brushes down to dry on the cloth. Make sure the location is safe from siblings and pets (my indoor cat, Katsuke, thinks brushes are his toys and will not hesitate to "assist" me!).
The drying process can take several hours, so if you know you need to use some brushes the next day, I suggest deep cleaning only a few at a time. 

Supplies: Tall plastic cup, warm water, dish soap (I use Dawn Hand Renewal), and olive oil (occasionally)

Length of soak time: At least two to three hours

Length of drying time: Several hours (sometimes up to 12 for completely dry brushes)

What method(s) do you use to deep clean your brushes?

If you use this same one, tell me how you came across it. If not and you try it, tell me how it goes!

Have a great evening! <3

Pretty Panda's Ponderings
  • I had an unusually busy day at work today, but I'd rather the time pass quickly.
  • Happy 6-year Dating Anniversary, Brett! I think you'll enjoy what I bought for you. ;)
  • Biscuits with butter and honey. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment